Wednesday, May 21, 2014

San Francisco to Oakhurst, CA

May 21, 2014  Another day in Paradise!  Today was a good day with perfect weather again.  We got up, got dressed, and left the hotel. Since we did not do Lombard St yesterday, it was first on our list for the morning.  In case you don't know about Lombard St, it's billed as the crookedest street in America.   It's straight up a very long hill.  at the top, the road starts downhill with a series of hairpin turns and undulations.  The road surface is made up of brick, and each level of the road is planted on the sides with beautiful flowers and shrubs.  It's just a unique ride down the hill.

After doing Lombard St, we headed to the San Francisco REI store.  It was across town, taking us through the business district into an industrial looking area.  In the store, the customer service desk was friendly, looking up my account and asking what I wanted to do about the problem.  I told her I wanted another pair of pants, so she sent me to get what I wanted, allowing full credit for the pair that was broken.  I found the more modern equivalent to the pants, took them back to her, and she charged me only $11 for the replacements.  

The original pair of the pants were bought around 2005.  I took them to Alaska, and the zipper broke while in Anchorage, so I took them to the store there.  They allowed full credit for the original pants and the replacement pants were exchanged for no cost at all.  But they were exactly the same as the original pants.  So, in essence, I got this pair, nicer than the originals, for $11.  That's why I buy from REI.  You pay a little more, but they stand behind their merchandise.

From there, we crossed the Oakland Bay bridge, a high, long bridge that has 5 lanes going into San Francisco, and 5 lanes leaving San Francisco.  They are on top of each other, with those leaving San Francisco being on bottom, and those going into on top.  Leaving San Francisco is free.  You pay to go into the town.

Then, we rode east to Oakhurst, CA, just south of Yosemite to stay for the night.  

I took no pics today, but, to keep this post interesting, I'll post some pics from earlier in the trip. 

Tomorrow will be Yosemite.

2 Comments:

At May 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM , Anonymous Sunshine said...

Enjoying your trip via your blog. Great pictures. Your next trip will also be wonderful! Enjoy Bar & stay safe!!

 
At May 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Sheila said...

Most interesting rocks in water picture. Lombard St. sounds like fun.
Success at REI. Good for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home